As featured on
A Black Lives Matter solidarity rally on Saturday organized by a group of south Asian residents and black activists from Southeast Queens ended in a political fight over several organizers’ affiliation with Assemblyman David Weprin (D-Fresh Meadows).
At the outset of the rally, which aimed to gather first-generation immigrants and nonnative residents to show support for police brutality protests in Major Mark Park in Jamaica, a group of around 20 protesters arrived with signs calling out Weprin for accepting campaign donations from police unions.
- Progressive may have beat the establishment
- Blacking out the economy July 7
- Fairway Market will shut down by July 17
- COVID-related financial strain shutters four Queens Catholic schools
- NYCHA can’t replace a valve
- A boon for Craig Carton?
- Fate of Columbus debated in Astoria
- With video: Gunmen strike in 107th Precinct
- ConEd replacing two large electric cables
- Community rejects former inmate guests