by Anna Gustafson
Calling small business owners the backbone of South Queens, the Greater Woodhaven Development Corporation honored the mom and pop shopkeepers, as well as area civic leaders, at its 33rd annual spring gala last Friday.
The GWDC held the affair, named the “Everlasting Spring” dinner dance, which included live music and a buffet, at Cordon Bleu Caterers on Jamaica Avenue in Woodhaven.
The group named Robert Castelli, a Woodhaven podiatrist, Man of the Year, and Debra Hoffer, director of field operations at the Catholic Charities Senior Citizen Center, Woman of the Year.
Michael Brennan, of Mike’s Pub, was honored as the Business Owner of the Year, and Jaime Illescas, owner of the new Tropical Restaurant, was named the Businessman of the Year. A special recognition award was given to St. Luke’s Nursery School.
- MS-13 gang charged with multiple murders
- Porn star’s beloved wood getting axed
- More closed streets opened in Queens
- Cooper shelter will stay at 120 residents
- Beaches will open for Memorial Day, but not in NYC (updated)
- No swimming, no shopping, no relief
- ‘I’d consider giving her a ... throat punch’
- 109th Pct. officer allegedly kills friend
- Fatal stabbing, shooting
- Staying safe in FoHi