• November 16, 2019
  • Welcome!
    |
    ||
    Logout|My Dashboard

Queens Chronicle

Trailers gone from Richmond Hill High

CB 9 applauds the announcement

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2016 10:30 am

School may not be out yet, but the trailers at Richmond Hill High School finally are gone for good.

Seth Wellins, Community Board 9’s Education Committee chairman, announced at the full board’s meeting on Tuesday that the mobile classrooms at the educational facility, at 89-30 114 St., have been removed.

Board members applauded the long-awaited announcement.

Wellins said he was told the news by a staff member of the school at a town hall in Ozone Park earlier that day.

Donna Crayton, the school’s parent coordinator, confirmed the news but added she did not know when the trailers were removed from the site.

The news differs from the announcement Wellins made at CB 9’s October meeting, when he said the vacant trailers could remain on school property for another year. However, a Department of Education source told the Queens Chronicle they would be removed “as soon as possible.”

At that time, the trailers were not being used despite being on school grounds.

The trailers were placed at the high school years ago by the DOE after RHHS began to take in more students than it had room for. The city also rented space at St. Benedict’s School, located a few blocks away, as an annex, when the trailers also became overcrowded. The de Blasio administration struck a deal to keep the annex open, after former Mayor Mike Bloomberg said the city would close it.

The school is one of 92 citywide that are part of Mayor de Blasio’s Renewal Schools Program, which dedicates more resources and longer school hours to help failing institutions.

Last March, de Blasio visited RHHS to tout improvements at the school including higher attendance rates, fewer fights and a decrease in suspensions.

More about

Welcome to the discussion.