• September 19, 2019
  • Welcome!
    Logout|My Dashboard

Queens Chronicle

McClancy alum, 9/11 responder dead at 53

Luis Alvarez testified with Jon Stewart before Congress in June

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, July 3, 2019 10:30 am

Luis Alvarez, the 9/11 responder who testified before Congress several weeks ago, while next sitting to Jon Stewart, died last Saturday at the age of 53.

He graduated from Monsignor McClancy Memorial High School in 1983. The school’s Facebook page posted a tribute saying, “May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.”

According to his obituary in The New York Times, he served in the Marines and studied at City College of the City University of New York. Alvarez joined the NYPD in 1990.

He was assigned to the 108th Precinct in Long Island City in 1993 before being transferred to the Narcotics Division and promoted to detective two years later.

After working undercover as a detective first grade he volunteered for the bomb squad in 2004.

After his time with the NYPD, he later worked for the Department of Homeland Security before retiring due to illness.

Alvarez became an advocate for 9/11 responders and the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund, which was opened to emergency responders and their families by the federal government in 2011, after the fund was projected to be depleted at the end of 2020.

The cause of his death was complications of colorectal cancer, linked to three months he spent at Ground Zero searching for survivors and remains according to The Times.

The refunding bill passed the full committee unanimously and Sen. Mitch McConnell (R-Kentucky) agreed to allow the legislation to go to a floor vote in August.

Alvarez is survived by his mother, Aida, his father, Felipe, his wife, Alaine Alvarez, his sons, David, Tyler and Benjamin, his sister, Aida Lugo and his brothers, Fernando and Phil.

In an official statement from his family, they said, “Please remember his words, ‘Please take care of yourselves and each other.’ We told him at the end that he had won this battle by the many lives he had touched by sharing his three year battle. He was at peace with that, surrounded by his family.”

Welcome to the discussion.