The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is chipping away at the projected deficit in its current five-year capital plan while Gov. Cuomo and the de Blasio Administration continued chipping away at each other over funding for the transit agency.

Weeks ago, before the end of the state Legislature’s session in June, MTA Chairman Thomas Prendergast said the agency was facing a $15 billion hole in a total capital budget of about $30 billion.

MTA fares went up this past spring and are scheduled to do so again in spring 2017.

Several adjustments in recent weeks lowered the projected deficit, which covers from the current year through fiscal year 2019.

In a July 23 letter to New York State Budget director Mary Beth Labate and New York City First Deputy Mayor Anthony Shorris, Prendergast offered a new financial plan that lowered the projected gap to $9.8 billion. The reduction is due in part, Prendergast said, to higher-than-projected fare revenue, efficiency improvements and what he termed aggressive cost-cutting measures.

And to almost no one’s surprise, the governor and the mayor are at odds over just who should come up with the money to fill the remaining hole.

Prendergast, in his letter of July 23, suggests that the city kick in more, and Gov. Cuomo, at a press conference later that day, agreed. Shorris and Amy Spitalnick, a spokeswoman for de Blasio, were pointing to Albany last week.

Prendergast suggested in his letter that the city add $200 million per year to the $657 million it already has pledged through FY 2019.

“City funding of the MTA’s operating and capital finance needs has been seriously deficient for many years despite the fact that 90 percent of the MTA’s daily customers are on MTA New York City Transit ... subway and bus services, and 80 percent of the MTA’s physical infrastructure is in New York City,” Prendergast wrote.

He also wrote that while fiscal necessity prompted lower city contributions in past years, over the last decade the city has greatly improved finances and larger revenue surpluses than the state.

Cuomo, in the text of a transcript obtained from his office, concurred.

“Historically, the city didn’t fund the MTA proportionately,” Cuomo said when questioned on the matter. “That’s because, historically, the city was broke.”

He too said the Big Apple’s financial condition is much better than it was back in the 1970s and ’80s, and that the MTA’s request still would leave the city paying about $3 billion to the state’s $8 billion in capital funding over five years.

“[S]o it is, I think, more than fair to the city,” he said.

Cuomo said he is adamantly opposed to fare increases beyond the one already scheduled for 2017 to close the gap.

Spitalnick pointed out that the $657 million already represents the city’s largest contribution ever.

“And as the Citizens Budget Commission and the Comptroller have made clear, New York City, through taxes, tolls and fares already contributes over 70 percent of the MTA’s operating budget,” she said in a statement to the Chronicle.

“We also appreciate the MTA’s effort to find savings in their capital plan without cutting vital projects or shifting the costs to riders, as well as the governor’s commitment to — for the first time — start to address the chronic underfunding of this vital state authority.”

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.