As featured on
Only women — not single men, as originally planned — are living at the controversial 200-bed homeless shelter that was scheduled to open Wednesday at 127-03 20 Ave. in College Point.
Area leaders who fought the de Blasio administration to get the plan stopped declared a partial victory. Concerns had been expressed about placing single men — some of whom may have been formerly incarcerated — near five neighborhood schools with young children. Residents also called the 20th Avenue location bad because of its lack of subway access and distance from social services centers.
- MS-13 gang charged with multiple murders
- Beaches will open for Memorial Day, but not in NYC (updated)
- Porn star’s beloved wood getting axed
- More closed streets opened in Queens
- Cooper shelter will stay at 120 residents
- No swimming, no shopping, no relief
- 109th Pct. officer allegedly kills friend
- Fatal stabbing, shooting
- Staying safe in FoHi
- Brooklyn diocese starts limited church openings May 26