Another junker towed after a Chronicle report - Queens Chronicle: Queenswide

Another junker towed after a Chronicle report

by Richard Heaton, Chronicle Contributor | Posted: Thursday, November 7, 2019 10:30 am

The trash-filled car that was left abandoned for months on 62nd Street in Middle Village was removed immediately after the Queens Chronicle reported on it last week.

The car was first brought to the Chronicle’s attention on Oct. 28 by an area resident who wished to remain anonymous. It had been marked for removal by the authorities but was left along the curb on 62nd Street between Metropolitan Avenue and 62nd Road for more than 60 days.

Fed up with the lack of accountability and action, the resident reached out to the NYPD and Department of Sanitation, along with the office of Councilman Bob Holden (D-Middle Village), concurrently with the Chronicle’s asking the city agencies when it would be hauled away.

According to the resident, the car was removed on Nov. 1, the day after the story was published.

“Some supervisor went to look at it and the next day after you wrote the article it was gone,” he said, adding, “Thanks for the article, it was very good.”

It was the second time in two weeks an abandoned vehicle marked for towing but left in place for months was removed after the paper began asking questions. A Subaru Forester left on Woodhaven Boulevard near 64th Road in Rego Park for three months after being designated for removal was taken away just before Halloween.

Holden said he is mulling a bill to force the city to act more quickly in such cases.