• January 21, 2020
  • Welcome!
    |
    ||
    Logout|My Dashboard

Queens Chronicle

Utility says it didn’t expect state threat

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, November 21, 2019 10:30 am

Tick, tock. Tick, tock.

The clock is running on Gov. Cuomo’s ultimatum to National Grid to end its moratorium on new gas customers by Tuesday or he will start proceedings to yank its license to operate in Queens and Brooklyn and on Long Island.

The energy company has yet to reply formally to Cuomo, but National Grid CEO John Pettigrew told Wall Street analysts during an earnings call last week that he had not expected this.

“With regards to the moratorium, we don’t think the actions that we take would lead down that particular route,” Pettigrew said, according to The Wall Street Journal.

“Nonetheless, this is a difficult and serious issue, and we’re working as hard as we can to find non-pipeline solutions.

“We’re currently working through all the different engineering solutions that could be a non-pipeline solution,” he said.

“So, for example, as we’re looking at things like energy efficiency, demand side management, we’re looking at things like compressed natural gas, vaporization, increased capacity on our [liquefied natural gas] facilities ... Ultimately, our objective is to be able to serve the customers.”

National Grid, citing a looming gas supply crisis, stopped accepting new customers last May, after the state refused to approve a new pipeline across New York Harbor.

On Nov. 12, Cuomo gave the company 14 days to come up with an alternative plan to supply gas to more than 2,000 customers awaiting new service.

More about

More about

More about

Welcome to the discussion.