Abbracciamento’s back on the block? 1

An online real estate listing shows the former Joe Abbracciamento Restaurant on the Rego Park-Middle Village border is back on the market with an $18 million price tag. However, the site’s owner filed a demolition notice with Community Board 5 earlier this month.

The former Joe Abbracciamento Restaurant at 62-96 Woodhaven Blvd. on the Middle Village-Rego Park border may be looking at its third real estate flip in two years.

Last Thursday, a Chronicle reporter noticed a for sale sign featuring Elmhurst-based Wing Fung Home Realty Group’s name and logo taped to the gutted building.

The sign had been removed by Friday afternoon, but a listing for the site can be found at real estate website mlsli.com, with Wing Fung Home Realty listed as the location’s realtor.

The listed asking price for the Woodhaven Boulevard block between 62nd Drive and 63rd Avenue, which contained the popular former restaurant and a handful of other small businesses, is $18 million.

When contacted by the Chronicle on Tuesday, Wing Fung Home Realty agent Jian Li — the realtor handling the site — said he had no comment on the validity of the listing or whether the building or the lot — after planned demolition — is for sale.

Demolition to make way for a seven-story, 119-unit residential building has been planned for the location since restaurant owner John Abbracciamento sold the venue to the Criterion Group for $9 million in April 2014 — one month after he closed the 60-year-old eatery.

But in February 2015, the Long Island City-based real estate company flipped the property to Flushing-based 62-98 Realty LLC for $10.85 million.

Last December, the Department of Buildings approved a permit for a sidewalk shed at the location and processed an application pertaining to equipment that will be used to potentially tear down the structure, pending agency approval.

The demolition permit was first filed with the DOB in April 2014 — one month after the new building permit was sent in — and a DOB spokesman told the Chronicle in December that both permits are still active, despite the change in ownership.

Phone messages left for Choi Yan Chan, the owner of 62-98 Realty LLC according to city records, were not returned by press time.

When asked about the $18 million dollar listing, Community Board 5 District Manager Gary Giordano said in a Monday email it was the first he was hearing of it. Michael Cohen, press director for Councilwoman Karen Koslowitz (D-Forest Hills), said the same thing when asked by phone on Tuesday if the lawmaker’s office knew of it.

While little is known about a potential sale, demolition of the structure may be imminent, as the property owner filed a demolition notice with CB 5 earlier this month.

Giordano said such notices must be submitted to community boards at least 10 days in advance of any work taking place.

“They have to file with us within 10 days,” Giordano said, “but it could mean they’re a month away. We don’t know.”

Some area leaders like Giordano have expressed unease over the last two years in anticipation of a large housing structure taking over the block.

Other area residents suggested at a meeting over the future of the Central Queens Academy charter school that the educational facility expand into the Woodhaven Boulevard space.

A school administrator told the Chronicle in March the institution does not view the former restaurant as a viable educational site.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.