The formation of Richmond Hill came about as a result of the 1869 purchase of the Lefferts and Welling farms by Albon Platt Man, a prominent New York attorney.
In the very early days of the community folks were connected by a post office in Jacob Van Wicklen’s store on Myrtle Avenue. At that time it was referred to as the Clarenceville Post Office. In 1872, it was replaced by the new Richmond Hill Post Office, located near the “triangle” where Park Street (now Hillside Avenue) and Myrtle Avenue meet.
The clapboard two-story structure, seen in the photo, was eventually demolished. It was replaced with Salerno’s Restaurant and later the Tropicana.
The third home was located at 86-08 117 St., with John Homeyer as postmaster. In 1900 Richmond Hill dropped its postmaster and joined the greater Jamaica Post District as a station branch. This building still stands and became Alfie’s Pizzeria in later years.
With the area’s population exploding, the post office had to move again in 1925, to a large brick building at 115-02 Myrtle Ave. This stately building served the community for the next 35 years.
The Richmond Hill Post Office’s sixth and final home is a modern one-story building dedicated in 1960 at 122-01 Jamaica Ave. In 1990 a scene for the movie “Quick Change” was shot in the post office parking lot. Today this station makes over 9,700 possible deliveries each day in Richmond Hill. This is accomplished by the use of 19 carrier routes and nine clerks, and a total workforce of 35 employees.