On Feb. 27, 1931 the Bayside Golf Links Corp. was chartered. The land for it was owned by Charles Meyer, who was to develop the site into a first-class golf course under his Cord Meyer company. The course was situated on 97 acres bounded by 202nd Street on the west to 210th Street on the east, and 26th Avenue on the north to 29th Avenue on the south.
A “pay as you play” course, Bayside Links was designed and constructed by Dr. Alister MacKenzie, the noted golf architect whose fame was worldwide. Some of his earlier works were the Old Course at St. Andrews Links in Scotland; Bobby Jones’ Augusta National in Georgia; Cypress Point at Pebble Beach, Calif.; and Pasatiempo at Santa Cruz, Calif.
Bayside Links was MacKenzie’s only New York masterpiece.
The 18-hole course had a hoseless irrigation system, large trees and unusual sand traps. Roughs were so well maintained that lost balls were nil. William H. Griffith was the greenskeeper. Golf legends who played there included Bobby Jones, Walter Hagan and Grantland Rice.
Meyer died of a heart attack at his daughter’s home on April 9, 1950, at age 70. His heirs — including his daughter, who was going through a divorce at the time — had no interest in golf and decided to sell the land to developer Jack Parker for $3 million in March 1956. Parker invested $20 million to build 600 modern ranch homes there under his holding company, called Nonajan. The deal was closed in September, and Bayside Links limped along as a nine-hole course for another year as construction was underway.
Today the houses are well maintained and have appreciated in value over 55 years. A handful of Queens golfers still have fond memories of the course.