From around 1750 to 1928, the unspoiled, crooked Dry Harbor Road in Middle Village resembled a harbor from a distance to the naked eye, though there actually wasn’t any water on the road at all.
Furman’s Farm ran along Dry Harbor Road. The Judge Jonathan T. Furman house actually stood on what are now 80-16 and 80-20 Cowles Court. It burned down in 1928.
The road that cuts from Woodhaven Boulevard to Dry Harbor Road was named Furmanville Avenue in honor of the family, which was politically active and connected.
When the houses off Woodhaven Boulevard and Penelope Avenue were built with their beautiful tile roofs around 1930, stores erected along Dry Harbor as their commercial district were given the same tasteful elegance.
Schwartz’s Pharmacy operated for many years at 64-77 Dry Harbor, at the corner with Furmanville. Owner Alex Schwartz lived at 65-20 Dry Harbor and could walk to work each day. Dan Supreme Market and Roosevelt Tailor also were there for many years. Across the street at 64-74 was a small insurance business started in 1930 by James A. Phillips, along with a store called Mayland Displays. When the tailor shop vacated and became available, Phillips moved across the street. His business later expanded into a successful real estate firm and Phillips Mortgage Company.
The tasteful little road called Dry Harbor still gives the area a real old-fashioned neighborhood feel, even today.