Amedeo’s Bar and Grill was a fixture on South Road in South Jamaica for five decades.
It opened after the repeal of Prohibition in 1933 at 153-22 South Road, and in 1935 moved across the street to larger quarters at 153-25.
The joint was an instant success with the large number of milk and dairy employees who worked in the area. It sold exclusive Trommers Malt Beer on tap. Women were welcome. And you couldn’t miss the large sign in the doorway which read, “Positively No Trust.”
Many of the milk and dairy employees who patronized Amedeo’s came from the Elmhurst Cream Co., later called Juniper Valley Dairy Co., at 154-21 South Road. Beechhurst Farms, Dellwood Dairy and Puritan Farms all operated out of a building at 155-01 South Road. Their employees also loved to come down after a long day’s work.
By the 1950s the bar had changed hands and become Joseph Pugliese Bar and Grill, continuing the neighborhood tradition until about 1980.
Today that part of South Road is lined with housing that once had been stores. The building that housed the bar, however, is gone, with the property being used as a yard for tractor-trailers.