Work on the 1939-40 New York World’s Fair began in June 1936. Built on a massive dump of coal ash, it was called the largest reclamation project ever undertaken in the eastern United States.
With millions expected to attend the exposition, Postmaster General James A. Farley decided in 1937 that a post office should be built onsite to keepcommunications flowing between visitors and their friends and family back home.
The result was a beautiful art deco building, centrally located on the fairgrounds’ Main Street. A spectacular mural was done by Paul C. Robertson, with stars, stripes and the American eagle, called the United States mail letter carrier. Collection boxes were provided throughout the fairgrounds.
Receipts totaled $136,866.53 in 1939 and $109,896.88 in 1940 — quite a nice sum considering that a postcard stamp cost a penny in those days. Flushing’s postmaster, whose name was Doyle, was commended by Farley on the courteous, efficient and economical manner in which the station was operated.
Unfortunately, at the end of the fair no thought was given to preserving the artwork or the building, and they were demolished in the spring of 1941.