(BPT) - These days, more is expected of working families than ever before. Families with two working parents are now the norm, and in addition to full-time jobs, parents still have errands to run, youth activities to attend and a house to maintain. So how do you do it all? How do you keep your family organized and running efficiently?
It may sound difficult, but all this is possible. Following these simple tips will put you and your household on the right track and will help put a limit to daily chaos:
* Make it a family affair: Involve kids in cleaning by making a list of all the chores you want to accomplish. Then, pick the jobs that are age appropriate and put them out on a table or on a wall. Roll a pair of dice to see who gets to pick first and have everyone (parents included) select their chores. This will allow the kids to choose what they think they might enjoy, instead of simply cleaning because you “said so.”
* Organized carpools: Carpools are a great idea for more than just trips to the office. Organizing a carpool with other parents to bring kids to school saves gas, is good for the environment and ensures everyone makes it safely. It also frees up your morning when it’s not your turn to drive.
* Use two hampers : Encourage your family to help with the laundry process by presorting their clothes. Anything with stains goes to the stain removal station, while everything else gets placed into the dark or white hampers as appropriate. It’s a great way to teach children at an early age how to do their own laundry, and it ensures that the ever-missing sock stays put.
* Family computer, family friend: Take the pressure off with an easy-to-use family computer like LG’s Chromebase and start saving to the cloud so you can access information (like homework, grocery lists, and projects) anywhere, at any time. With automatic software and security updates, it is maintenance free. Additionally, its speed is aided by an Intel Celeron Processor and has a built-in web camera, make it perfect for any member of the family, and at a family-friendly price.
* Plan ahead for meal time: If nutritious, home-cooked meals are too often forgone on busy weeknights, planning ahead can help you win them back. Set aside some time during the weekend and grab an apron for a full cooking session. You can make several meals in one morning and then pre-package them for meals later in the week. This will save you time while ensuring your family gets the wholesome home-cooked meals you want to provide.
* Contract for help: If you feel like you’re in over your head, there are many service providers out there that can lend a helping hand – often at low costs. Get your groceries delivered to your home and save yourself a trip. Think about including a home cleaning or lawn service in your monthly budget. You will pay a fee for each of these services, but the time you save may be more valuable.
Busy work schedules and family obligations can make you feel like there is never enough time in the day. By implementing these simple tips and making the most of technology, however, you’ll find the extra time you’re craving and maybe even earn a moment’s rest and relaxation as well.