(StatePoint) Are your home’s outdoor spaces a viable place to dine, relax and entertain? If not, consider making better use of your patio, balcony, yard or deck by prioritizing this home upgrade.
“Your home’s outdoor spaces, like the rooms inside it, should be comfortable, attractive and designed for everyday living,” says Leah Drill, spokesperson for Bed Bath & Beyond. “Don’t underestimate the potential of these areas.”
Drill is offering some tips for making your yard your favorite “room” of the house:
• Weather resistance should be a top consideration when picking outdoor furniture. Rust-resistant steel and tempered glass are both great options. Wood furniture should be properly treated to withstand the elements. For covered spaces, you have fewer limitations on materials.
• Don’t sacrifice comfort or style for weather resistance -- the two can co-exist. Use cushions and pillows to brighten modern décor and add comfort and style to chairs, chaises, loungers and benches. For example, Bed Bath & Beyond’s Wildwood Toss Pillows are easy to clean and are made using fabric that is resistant to mildew, fading and stains.
• Shade is crucial. Be sure to create plenty of it with strategic vegetation and umbrellas.
• Make your patio or deck feel more “homey” and add a splash of color with an outdoor rug. Check the tag to see if the rug is made of polypropylene, which offers staining, fading and mold resistance. Another great feature to look out for is UV resistance.
• Don’t make your guests leave a great party to head inside every time they need a new beverage. Make your patio complete with an outdoor bar.
• Give the space a centerpiece with a gas burning fire pit. It’s a great place for guests to gather.
More outdoor home improvement inspiration can be found at www.BedBathAndBeyond.com.
Whether you’re updating a small balcony or outfitting a spacious yard, there are plenty of ways to increase the comfort and functionality of your home’s outdoor spaces.