(StatePoint) Is updating your flooring on your home improvement to-do list this season? From color to style to performance, there’s a lot to consider. Learn how to find flooring that fits your lifestyle and reflects your family’s personality.
Mother Nature isn’t always kind to your leather goods. Dirt, salt, dry air and other harsh winter elements can damage leather if they’re left to set in for months on end. Summer days mean more exposure to damaging UV rays, so it’s important to protect all leather, including car seats, from the harsh rays of the summer sun. Leather items are assumed to be durable and thus overlooked during spring cleaning, but without proper care, leather can become faded, cracked or dried out and even too stiff to wear.
With spring just around the corner, it’s time to focus on sprucing up your home. But balancing a budget and your home improvement desires can be a challenge. Some simple tips and tricks can help you make over your home for less.
(BPT) - Ideally, you’ll have a few days notice to get everything in order when you’re hosting guests. But everyone knows that’s not always the case. Drop-ins happen and you can make a choice between panicking or embracing the spontaneity of a last-minute get-together with your friends and family. The key to being an unflappable host is having a simple process to get your home guest-ready in a hurry.
(StatePoint) Your house is a refuge from the outside world, and in the cooler months, there's nothing more comforting than coming in from the brisk air to an inviting home.
(StatePoint) Though one of the best parts of winter is getting out of the cool, crisp air and into the cozy, comfort of your home, trendsetting crafters are bringing the beauty of nature inside their houses when decorating for the holidays this year.
“This holiday season, the outdoors are in,” says Nicole Long, Manager of Inspiration for Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores. “Pine cones, evergreen, moss and grapevine can give your traditional décor a rustic, natural look.”
If you’re having trouble getting inspired, here are some ideas from the experts at Jo-Ann:
• Dress up the entrance of your home with an especially festive look. Wire a small twig wreath to a larger grapevine wreath and then decorate with dazzling embellishments, stems and greenery.
• Give your mantel a cozy makeover by hanging knitted stockings, embellished with berries and leaves. Then fill them with gifts galore!
• Deck the halls with pictures of loved ones and celebrations past. Turn a traditional pine garland of berries and pine cones into a personal keepsake of fond memories by adding handcrafted wire frames of your favorite family photos.
• Paint pine cones red, gold, burgundy and green. Don’t be afraid to add a little glitz with a coat of clear glitter on each one. Showcase them in a simple glass container for a beautiful centerpiece or side table decoration.
• Fashion a hanging basket out of grapevine wreath. Place battery-operated lights within the basket and fill with ornaments.
• For a delicious holiday goodie bag, dip peppermint sticks in melted chocolate and decorate with sprinkles or chopped nuts. Place them in treat bags with ribbon then give to family and friends throughout the season.
• Print Victorian-era designs onto paper, then decoupage onto wood shapes. Glitter the edges and tie on a shiny ribbon to create a lovely, vintage-inspired ornament.
For more tips and directions on transforming your home for the holiday season, visit www.JoAnn.com/projects.
By bringing a bit of nature into your home this season, you can evoke its spirit all throughout the house.
(StatePoint) While Mother Nature may do the work of creating an outdoor winter wonderland this holiday season, the inside of your home is up to you. Don’t stress, decorating your home with holiday flowers and plants can be a fun and easy way to create your very own enchanting holiday atmosphere.
Here are five top holiday decorating tips that will bring some festive floral flair to your home this season:
• Expecting houseguests? Decorate all of the rooms in your home with a few simple touches to create a cozy holiday sanctuary for you and your loved ones. Florals are the perfect way to welcome your guests. Place small vases of fresh flowers in bedrooms and bathrooms. Just a few blooms will do the trick and the thoughtful gesture won’t go unnoticed.
• Adorning each of your holiday dining tables with a festive theme will make the delicious experience even more delightful. For a formal holiday dinner, a traditional centerpiece makes a statement of elegance. Teleflora, a nationwide floral retailer, is a popular source for artfully arranged holiday centerpieces. Their vintage-style Silver Glow Centerpiece, which features a stylish mercury glass hurricane nestled in a bed of Christmas greens and red roses, will light up your holiday table. Add an extra special touch by tying your linen napkins with silver ribbon.
Don’t forget to top the children’s table with something whimsical and sweet, such as the Teleflora’s red and white striped Peppermint Christmas Bouquet. Add candy canes to the table place settings and no one will mind sitting at the kids’ table this year. More information and great decorating ideas can be found at www.Teleflora.com.
• When choosing holiday florals and decorative accents, experiment with color palettes. Add some unexpected color to traditional holiday hues of red, green, gold and silver. Lime or chartreuse combined with reds and greens will give your décor a modern twist. For a rich, upscale look, add shades of plum and aubergine to traditional burgundy and gold decor.
• Bring new life, color and fragrance to artificial green garlands, wreaths, and boughs from years past. Mixing your artificial elements with fresh stems like heather, magnolia and seeded eucalyptus will enhance the look of your décor and create a fragrant holiday scent that will evoke memories of merry times.
• Create your own special holiday decorating traditions. Save your favorite bowls, vases and keepsakes from your floral arrangements and fill them with ornaments, candy or other festive goodies. Teleflora offers an extensive array of collectible floral containers that can be cherished and enjoyed for holidays to come.
This season, use holiday flowers and plants to fill your home with warmth and a festive spirit that will make your guests want to return every year.
Or, use your linked account: