(Family Features) Delicious taste, beautiful colors, packed with healthy nutrients - what's not to love about fresh fruit? And with fresh fruits available all year long, you can enjoy them in mouthwatering, healthy meals any time you want.
These satisfying fresh fruit salads showcase the flavors and healthy benefits of Chilean fresh fruit. Here are some of the reasons eating fresh fruit is so good for you:
- Adding the bright colors of fresh fruit to your plate can help lower your risk of heart disease, cancer and Alzheimer's. That's because the rich colors found in brightly colored fruits and vegetables indicate the presence of powerful natural protectors called phytonutrients and antioxidants.
- Scientific evidence has shown that eating whole fruit is best for optimal nutrition benefits rather than taking supplements to provide each nutrient separately.
- Fresh fruits can satisfy a sweet tooth without adding unhealthy fat or excessive calories to your diet. That's because fruits contain naturally occurring sugars suspended in a natural healthy matrix of calorie-free plant fibers and water. They help you fill up without filling out.
Since it's summer in Chile when it's winter here, fresh fruits such as grapes, blueberries, peaches, plums and kiwi can be added to recipes like these all year. For more recipes, visit www.fruitsfromchile.com
Recipe: Salmon, Fresh Chilean Blueberries and Lemon Salad with Chive Vinaigrette
- 8 cups salad greens, in small pieces
- 1 pound salmon fillet, poached
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- Lemon zest to garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives
- Divide salad greens on four salad plates. Tear salmon into medium pieces and arrange on greens.
- Sprinkle on blueberries. Top with lemon zest. In a jar with a lid, add all vinaigrette ingredients. Shake well. Serve salads chilled with the dressing alongside.
Recipe: Kiwi Vinaigrette
- 4 cups washed baby spinach
- 1/2 cup red grapes
- 1/2 cup green grapes
- 2 plums sliced
- 1 peach sliced
- 2 kiwis sliced for garnish
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds
- Place spinach and sliced fruit in a salad bowl and toss with kiwi vinaigrette. Garnish with additional fruit pieces and top with toasted almonds.
Recipe: Spinach Salad with fresh Grapes, Plums, Peaches and Kiwis
- 3 kiwis peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 - 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon agave or honey
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Set aside.