(Family Features) Pamper your wedding guests with a special keepsake they can treasure. After all, you want to thank each and every one of them for sharing in your special moment. It's also a fun way for them to remember the celebration long after the wedding day is over.
Here are a few ideas to spoil your guests:
- Place a small silver bell at each place setting, and then observe the tradition of kissing your new spouse each time one rings.
- Fill favor boxes or organza bags with a sweet treat, such as Jordan almonds or pillow mints.
- Small silver frames can do double-duty as wedding favors and place card holders.
- Greet guests at an outdoor wedding with ornate fans to keep them cool.
- Encourage your guests to kick up (or off) their heels by providing a basket of cute flip flops for dancing.
Another memorable gift is to honor your guests with a donation to a charity that is special to you and your fiancée. Announce your gift on a handcrafted tag attached to a beautiful candle. The decorative candles can be clustered around the centerpieces at the reception or simply used as the centerpiece itself. To find more wedding ideas, project guides and supplies, visit www.joann.com.
Charitable Gift Wedding Favor
Some experience necessary
Crafting time: 1-2 hours
Supplies and tools:
Cardstock, green & brown
Kraft paper or brown paper grocery bag
Small wood beads
Flower punches in a variety of shapes & sizes
Adhesive dots, large
Mini hole punch
Recycled papers, such as old books, sheet music, newspapers, postcards, memorabilia
1. Punch 5 flowers using flower punches in different shapes and sizes. Use a variety of recycled papers for a vintage appearance. With an upholstery tack, pierce all layers of flowers; set aside.
2. Cut green cardstock strip 3-inch wide and 1/2-inch longer than circumference of candle. Cut both long edges and one short end with scallop-edge shears. Punch mini holes in each scallop. Wrap around candle, overlap and secure with adhesive dots.
3. Cut a strip of cork 1-3/4-inch wide and the same length as green cardstock. Cut one end of cork strip with scalloped edge shears; attach to candle with 3 straight pins, at the scalloped end.
4. Print the donation message on brown cardstock. Cut out in a tag shape and mount on a slightly larger green cardstock tag. Scallop the green cardstock end, punch a hole at the narrow end of the tag and on each of the scallops. Tie ribbon once around cork and knot at the front. Tie cord around cork several times, string on the tag and tie in a knot. Press layered flower with upholstery tack into cork, over knots.
5. Tie 2 more lengths of jute around flower and knot. String a few small wood beads over the ends of some of the cords, and tie love knots to secure.
6. Trace a 5-inch circle on the back of green cardstock. Cut a petaled flower, using the circle shape as a guide. Using the green flower as a template, cut two more 5-inch flowers from recycled paper. Attach these to each other with adhesive dots, ruffling, wrinkling and distressing the edges. Cut a smaller green flower, slightly larger than the circumference of the candle. Cut the edges with scallop-edge shears and attach to the top of the stack of flowers, with the candle centered in the middle.