(NAPSI)—As the new school year approaches, college students everywhere are preparing for their trip back to campus.
Whether you are a freshman making the journey into a college dorm for the first time or a senior headed to an apartment off campus, here are some tips to help ensure a smooth, easy and affordable move. They’re courtesy of the experts at Penske Truck Rental:
• Go with the truck that best fits your needs. Experience has shown that in most cases the 12- or 16-foot truck is adequate for moving into a college dorm or efficiency apartment.
• Have a reservation. Fall is peak moving time for students and family, so it’s best to reserve early. You should reserve your rental truck and order any moving accessories at least two weeks in advance. At Penske, a reservation guarantees that a truck will be available.
• Using accessories can make a difference. Boxes, packing tape, Bubble Wrap, moving blankets and hand trucks are essential moving tools. Look to pack electronic items in their original cartons, and reinforce the bottoms of all boxes with extra tape for support.
• How you pack it is important. Load the heaviest items on the truck first. And to avoid injury, always bend your knees and lift with your legs, never your back. Better yet, get a friend to help with any heavy lifting.
• Think safety and security. Plan on picking up your truck a day early so you can practice driving it. Remember, trucks are taller, wider, heavier and require more stopping distance than cars. When traveling, be sure to park in well-lit areas and padlock the rear door.
In the unlikely event a breakdown occurs, Penske offers around-the-clock emergency roadside assistance every day.
• Sharing is a good thing. Sharing the ride with a friend can help to defer some of your truck rental costs and provide some extra help with your boxes.
• Discounts can help. When moving, costs can mount up, so every little bit of savings helps. Look for discounts that may be available through various memberships. For example, Penske Truck Rental is the exclusive truck rental partner of AAA and offers AAA members a discount.
• Keep things in easy reach. Finally, before you leave, create a travel bag for moving day to keep important paperwork, credit cards, identification, clothes, drinks and snacks close at hand.
For additional moving tips, visit www.PenskeTruckRental.com.
On the Net:North American Precis Syndicate, Inc.(NAPSI)