• January 25, 2015
  • Welcome!
    Logout|My Dashboard

Queens Chronicle

Ex boyfriend busted at airport for assault

Suspect headed to London; DA says stun gun slipped past JFK checkpoint

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 10:30 am | Updated: 10:28 am, Thu Mar 28, 2013.

A 23-year-old Greek national was arrested at John F. Kennedy International Airport on March 13, allegedly attempting to flee the country after sexually assaulting his ex-girlfriend in her Jamaica apartment.

In a related matter, the federal Transportation Safety Administration said it is investigating how a stun gun allegedly used in the attack got past an airport security checkpoint in the suspect’s carry-on luggage.

In a statement issued by his office, Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said Prodromos Vasilopoulos allegedly raped, beat and choked the 19-year-old victim while repeatedly threatening to kill her.

“The facts in this case chronicle a frightening ordeal of mental, physical and sexual violence,” Brown said. “Hopefully, the young woman who was brutally victimized will rest easier knowing that her alleged rapist has been brought to justice and will be vigorously prosecuted.”

Vasilopoulos has been charged with predatory sexual assault, first-degree burglary, second-degree assault, strangulation and second-degree criminal possession of a weapon in connection with the attack.

A second complaint charges him with second-degree aggravated harassment and second-degree harassment.

Brown’s office said that prior to the attack Vasilopoulos made approximately 200 combined phone calls and text messages to the woman between Feb. 16 and 21 in which he allegedly threatened to make her pay for breaking up with him.

The woman also alleges that he pushed her to the ground in an incident on Feb. 21.

Authorities allege that after the victim received a UPS package on March 12, she heard a knock on her door followed by a voice saying “Wrong delivery.”

Upon opening her door, she saw Vasilopoulos, who allegedly jolted her with the stun gun on her neck and abdomen, stuffing his fingers into her mouth when she began to scream. He then knocked her to the floor.

Upon dragging the victim to a bed, Vasilopoulos allegedly covered her face with a pillow, preventing her from breathing.

He subsequently smashed the victim’s head into the floor, causing bruising and scratches before placing one hand around her throat and closing her nose with the other, again preventing her from breathing.

He allegedly assaulted the woman repeatedly over an undisclosed period of time, saying “I cannot live without you,” and that “he wanted to have sex with her one more time before she died.”

Brown’s office made no comment on whether the woman escaped or Vasilopoulos fled. The victim was later treated for multiple injuries at a Queens hospital.

Vasilopoulos was arrested on March 13 at Kennedy Airport, where he was waiting to board a flight to London.

The statement issued by the District Attorney’s Office said the stun gun used in the alleged attack was recovered from his carry-on bag “which was in his possession inside the airport, past the TSA security checkpoint.”

Following an inquiry by the Chronicle, the TSA released a brief statement on Monday.

“TSA takes this incident seriously and will carefully review the details,” it said, followed by a general statement about its overall mission in airport security.

The case was investigated by the NYPD’s Special Victims Unit, the 107th Precinct detective squad and the Port Authority Police Department.

Vasilopoulos faces up to 25 years to life if convicted on all charges.

More about

More about

Reference Links

Welcome to the discussion.