• May 31, 2016
  • Welcome!
    Logout|My Dashboard

Queens Chronicle

Law grad convicted in girlfriend’s death

After killing her in their shared Astoria home, Jason Bohn faces life in prison

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 10:30 am

The family of Danielle Thomas finally received closure last Thursday when Jason Bohn was convicted of first-degree murder for strangling and beating Thomas to death in their Astoria apartment.

“The jury bravely listened to harrowing evidence — including a recording of the victim begging for her life as the defendant tortured and ultimately killed her — and correctly returned a verdict of first-degree murder finding that ‘the defendant acted in an especially cruel and wanton manner pursuant to a course of conduct intended to inflict and inflicting torture upon the victim prior to the victim’s death,” Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said in a prepared statement.

Bohn, a law school graduate of the University of Florida, was also convicted of tampering with evidence and first-degree criminal contempt following a seven-week jury trial before Queens Supreme Court Justice Michael Aloise.

The case became the center of media attention when it was revealed that Bohn not only killed Thomas but attempted to preserve her body in the apartment.

According to the trial testimony, police were called to Bohn’s apartment on June 26, 2012, and discovered Thomas’ body laying face up in the bathtub surrounded by bags of ice.

There was bruising on her forehead, face, shoulders, chest and neck, as well as lacerations on her face, mouth and chest.

The medical examiner determined the cause of death was blunt force trauma to the neck and torso.

Near Thomas’ body were two handwritten notes. The first stated: “It was an accident ... I had been drinking and I was drunk when I got home ... She was already asleep ... I woke up and there was fighting between us ... When I woke up again she was unconscious ... I am sorry.”

The second read: “Dani I will love you forever.” It was signed “J.”

The deadly assault was captured on a cell phone recording received by an acquaintance of Thomas in what is believed to have been an accidental dialing.

In the recording, played at trial, Thomas can be heard begging Bohn for her life as he strangles her, demanding to know why she had called a certain phone number.

“This is your life,” he is heard saying.

“I know,” Thomas responded.

Bohn continued to assault her saying things such as: “Danielle, you don’t have a lot of time,” and ignoring her pleas.

During the trial, it was revealed Thomas went to the 114th Precinct on June 7, 2012 to report an assault that had occurred a month earlier at which time Bohn caused injury to her face and leg and that he was harassing her by sending threatening emails and text messages. While she was at the precinct, Bohn called her cell phone and a police sergeant heard him say, among other things, that “this was war, that he would hunt her down like a dog in the streets and make her life impossible.”

Bohn was arrested that day and charged with assault and aggravated harassment. Thomas was provided with an order of protection.

Bohn will be sentenced on April 2, at which time he faces up to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

More about

Welcome to the discussion.