• July 31, 2014
  • Welcome!
    |
    ||
    Logout|My Dashboard

Queens Chronicle

PS 64 explosion send six students to the hospital

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:44 pm | Updated: 11:36 am, Thu Nov 14, 2013.

A small explosion in a classroom at PS 64 injured or scared nearly three dozen students Wednesday morning, sending six to the hospital and causing panic in one classroom. 

The explosion occurred at around 10:20 a.m. in a classroom in the building at 82-01 101 Ave. 

According to the FDNY, 33 students were treated, all for minor injuries. Six of those students were transported to Jamaica Hospital Medical Center to be placed under observation for throat irritation, while the other 27, many of whom were only shaken by the incident, were treated and evaluated at the scene by emergency responders, police said. 

The FDNY was calling the explosion a “mass casualty incident” due to the number of students treated. None of the injuries were considered serious. 

The city Department of Education said the explosion was small and the cause was an aerosol can that overheated after it was placed on a radiator. A source said the aerosol can was filled with computer cleaner. 

The K-5 school, which has 649 students, was briefly evacuated, but was not closed for the day.

Several hours after the explosion, the scene at the school was calm, with the exception of two police vans parked outside its 83rd Street entrance. 

A couple of police officers mulling around inside the school, but did not have any additional information. One of the officers said witnesses described the explosion as a “loud pop” similar to a firecracker. 

One parent, who did not want to be named, had come to the school from her job in Brooklyn after hearing of the explosion.

“They said it was minor,” she said. “But you hear about an incident at a school these days and, I don’t know, instinct takes over.” 

Her daughter’s class was not affected by the explosion. 

Welcome to the discussion.