A fire that broke out in a private house at 87-33 96 St. in Woodhaven last Thursday left four families homeless.
The blaze was reported on the first floor of the home around 8 a.m. on Thursday. More than a dozen firefighters responded to the fire. It was brought under control within an hour.
American Red Cross volunteers were on hand to provide emergency relief to the more than a dozen people who lived in the home, including food, blankets, housing and emotional support.
Of those displaced, two families — six adults and three children — were in need of emergency lodging, which the Red Cross provided.
The home where the fire broke out is located only a block north of PS 306, which was letting in students when firefighters were responding to the fire.
The blaze occurred only a few hours after another fire in Howard Beach at a vacant home, to which more than a hundred firefighters responded — some of whom were later on the scene of the Woodhaven blaze.