• December 28, 2014
  • Welcome!
    |
    ||
    Logout|My Dashboard

Queens Chronicle

Fire erupts along 101st Avenue strip

Two apartments and doctor’s office damaged in Saturday evening blaze

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, July 3, 2014 10:30 am | Updated: 11:21 am, Thu Jul 10, 2014.

A fast-moving fire broke out in two apartments on 101st Avenue early last Saturday evening.

The flames erupted at around 6:10 p.m. in a second-floor apartment at 95-10 101 Ave. in Ozone Park, less than a block east of Woodhaven Boulevard. The fire destroyed one apartment over a doctor’s office and damaged an adjacent dwelling.

According to the FDNY, the fire was “an all-hands” blaze and it never went beyond one alarm. There were no injuries and the flames were extinguished at 9:31 p.m.

The incident caused traffic tie-ups along Woodhaven Boulevard as cars slowed down to see the situation. 101st Avenue was shut down for at least three hours between Woodhaven Boulevard and 97th Street as firefighters battled the flames.

The evening breeze off the ocean sent the smoke and acrid smell of fire north where it was noticeable to residents in Woodhaven, Forest Hills and Glendale.

“It smelled like an electric fire,” said one Forest Hills resident who was in Forest Park at the time of the fire. “I thought it might have been a car on fire.”

The fire was concentrated to the back of the structure, where residents nearby said they saw flames shooting out at the height of the incident. The doctor’s office was flooded with water, but suffered little to no fire damage.

FDNY sources said the fire’s location made it difficult to fight, as firefighters had to climb onto the roof of adjacent buildings to access the location of the flames.

Marie Tibball, whose son Tommy teaches at TKO Dance Studio next door to the building where the flames broke out, said the office was not badly damaged by the fire.

“We’re OK, we didn’t get any bad damage,” she said.

Tibball said the facility did smell like smoke and a small amount of water leaked in from the apartment above the studio — which suffered minor damage — but there was nothing serious.

“There was some water and some smoke, but no real problems,” she said.

A deli and a Chinese restaurant that sits on the same strip were open for business several hours after the fire struck.

On Sunday, a green tarp covered the back of the charred building. The Red Cross was also on the scene and helped one family who was displaced by the fire.

Welcome to the discussion.