If you’re 17 and you enjoy a burger from the food court at Resorts World Casino New York City, make sure you bring your mom, dad or older sibling.
Anyone under 18 have always been banned from the casino floor, but are allowed in common areas outside the casino, such as the food court, and guards stopped anyone who appeared to be underage from entering the gambling area. But some civic leaders and residents near the track said teenagers were congregating in common areas, especially those from nearby John Adams High School.
Responding to the concern from civic leaders, the caisno clarified its age policy, stating that anyone under 18 can still enter the common areas, such as the food court, the restaurants and the Central Park events area, but they must be accompanied by a parent, guardian or someone 18 and older.
“The racino can’t be a hangout spot for these kids,” Margaret Finnerty, president of the Richmond Hill South Civic Association, said at the March 7 Community Board 10 meeting.
The clarification comes as Resorts World is early in its second full year in business. The casino announced last week that its gaming revenues of $59.1 million in January and $57.1 million in February, more than 11 percent higher than last year’s numbers.
Those numbers compare to casino revenues that fell last year in Pennsylvania, Connecticut and New Jersey. The latter dropped partially due to the effect Hurricane Sandy had on Atlantic City.
The casino is also planning on opening its connection to the A subway line within the next few months. Work on Resorts World property is nearly complete, but work on the Aqueduct Racetrack station coninues.
Resorts World’s parent company, Genting, is working on two new locations in the United States — one in Miami and another in Las Vegas. Aqueduct Race Track was the Malaysian company’s first casino in the Untied States.