• July 24, 2014
  • Welcome!
    |
    ||
    Logout|My Dashboard

Queens Chronicle

Already Facing Gambling Rap, Feds Indict Ronald Trucchio

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, December 11, 2003 12:00 am

Ronald Trucchio, the alleged Gambino family crime boss from South Ozone Park who is already facing charges on the city and state level, was indicted by the Department of Justice last week with nine others on racketeering charges and could face life in prison if convicted.

Trucchio, commonly known as Ronnie One-Arm because of a childhood accident which deformed his left arm, was pegged as the leader of a group that committed criminal acts, including murder in Florida and bank robberies in New York. Authorities believe this faction of the Gambino crime family has been operating since 1986.

Two other suspects were arrested last week in Queens, and two were arrested in Long Island. Darren Sirrota, 33, of Howard Beach and Frank Roccaforte, 43, of Kew Gardens, were both taken into custody. The rest of the suspects were already in jail on other charges. Kevin Antinuche, Gennaro Bruno, Edward Callegari, Robert Bucholz, Joseph Kondrotos, Valentino Nucci and Dave Prevete are also named in the indictment.

Marcos Daniel Jimenez, the U.S. attorney for South Florida, said the crew used Ozone Park as its home base but moved freely between Florida and New York to carry out criminal activities. “The Department of Justice has a long-standing commitment to taking on organized crime. Those who conspire to prey on the honest, hard-working members of our community will pay the price for their actions.”

The defendants are formally charged with violating the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act, commonly called the RICO statute. The maximum penalty they face is life in prison and a $250,000 fine.

The indictment charges that the group murdered three men in Florida and was responsible for two major bank robberies in Queens, including the 1995 holdup of an armored car company which netted them over $3 million. It also references a huge chop shop operation in Maspeth, where they made millions of dollars by reselling luxury car parts and committed credit card and insurance fraud.

Police charge Trucchio with acting as a caporegima, or mid-level boss, and said he organized and planned many of the crimes and mediated disputes within the family. He was also accused of intimidating government witnesses during trials. Antinuche and Bruno were targeted as crew leaders.

Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said the group used Interstate 95, which connects New York and Florida, as a virtual crime highway. He said they “are alleged to have broken the law with impunity, terrorized law abiding citizens and raked in millions of dollars of tax free criminal proceeds. But now, through the combined efforts of federal, state and local law enforcement, they have been indicted.”

The indictments come on top of charges state Attorney General Eliot Spitzer filed against Trucchio last month accusing him of insurance fraud. Spitzer said Trucchio had claimed no income on his application for Social Security Insurance disability benefits on December 9, 1999.

As a result, he received over $100,000 between 2000 and 2003 in disability benefits, according to Spitzer. The attorney general said that in his application to buy a 2002 Cadillac DeVille sedan, Trucchio stated he had an annual salary of $72,000 from Aldo’s Restaurant.

Those charges came after Trucchio pled guilty to his role in a $30-million gambling ring run out of two Ozone Park locations with his son, Alphonse. He was sentenced to up to three years in prison for his role in the scheme, which took in over $600,000 per week in sports bets.

Welcome to the discussion.