• December 17, 2014
  • Welcome!
    Logout|My Dashboard

Queens Chronicle

Alleged drunk driver arrested after chase

Accused of fleeing Ozone Park accident

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2013 10:30 am | Updated: 10:59 am, Thu Sep 5, 2013.

A Staten Island man who is accused of driving while intoxicated allegedly fled the scene of an accident in Ozone Park last week and led police on a two-borough car chase before crashing into another vehicle in Brooklyn.

The suspect, Chance Deespina, 31 was hospitalized with a broken hip after the second accident and is to be arraigned on two counts of second-degree assault; one count of first-degree reckless endangerment; one count of third-degree unlawful fleeing from a police officer in a motor vehicle; one count of operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs; and various other vehicle and traffic violations.

According to the criminal charges, Deespina allegedly sideswiped a vehicle at the intersection of 106th Street and 109th Avenue in Ozone Park — half a block from the busy intersection of Rockaway Boulevard and Centerville Street — at around 2 a.m. on Aug. 21 and fled the scene.

Officers later allegedly saw Deespina run a red light a mile away at 120th Street and Liberty Avenue in Richmond Hill and also allege he was speeding at the time.

The officers then pursued Deespina with their sirens and lights on through several residential streets in Richmond Hill, including at least one one-way street where Deespina is alleged to have driven the wrong way at speeds near 80 mph.

The chase then continued westbound on Atlantic Avenue through Richmond Hill and Woodhaven and across the border into Brooklyn, where police allege Deespina ran a number of red lights until he allegedly ran into a BMW at the intersection of Atlantic and Van Siclen avenues in Cypress Hills.

The five people who were in the BMW, two cops and Deespina were taken to a local hospital for treatment where all but Deespina were released. Police say the suspect refused to submit to a blood test at the hospital.

If convicted, Deespina could face seven years in prison.

More about

Welcome to the discussion.