The NYPD’s Community Affairs Bureau is offering the following safety tips for runners and joggers.
• Don’t run alone. Find a partner, group or local running club to run with.
• Run during daylight hours whenever possible. If you must run at night, wear light-reflecting or light-colored clothing.
• Be familiar with your route. Know the locations of phones, call boxes, police stations, fire houses, hospitals and 24-hour businesses along your route.
• Listen to your instincts and be willing to vary your route if you sense that you are in danger. Avoid running in deserted or poorly lighted areas.
• If you must run in the street, run against traffic whenever possible.
• Be aware of who is around you at all times. Don’t acknowledge or respond to verbal harassment. Carry a whistle or an air horn to summon emergency assistance.
• Don’t wear jewelry, such as chains, medallions, rings or expensive watches.
• Avoid wearing headphones.
• Always carry some form of personal identification, including medical alert identification when applicable.