The ongoing slew of snowstorms has prompted the New York Blood Center to announce an urgent need for blood donations following the cancellation of more than 100 blood drives in the last few weeks.
“While we’re confident in our ability to supply our partner hospitals, we’re still struggling with the effects of the snow and ice this week, and worried about an even bigger hit this weekend,” Vice President Rob Purvis of the NYBC said last week in a press release. “It is critical that we all pitch in by donating blood to ensure that supplies aren’t further diminished in the days ahead.”
Donors must be between 16 to 75 years old, weigh a minimum of 110 pounds, be in good health, and cannot have had any tattoos for the past 12 months. O-negative blood donation is the most urgent since it is the universal donor.
While the NYBC has said there is a blood supply emergency, at least some hospitals such as Mt. Sinai Queens in Astoria say they aren’t aware of a shortage for their hospital.
Options for donating abound throughout Queens. For example, the American Motorcycle Association is hosting its 9th Annual Biker’s Blood Drive at Harley-Davidson of NYC at 42-11 Northern Blvd. in Long Island City on Sunday starting at 10:30 a.m. complete with T-shirt giveaways and live music.
For the busy parents who want to donate, Alley Pond Environmental Center is offering free baby-sitting for those who come by the Douglaston nature center at 228-06 Northern Blvd. on Feb. 20 starting at 2 p.m.
Other locations include:
• Baccalaureate School for Global Education at 34-12 36 Ave. in Astoria on Feb. 13 at 8:00 a.m.
•Advance Temple at 21-14 30 Ave. in Long Island City, Feb. 15 at 8:45 a.m.
• Queens Center Mall at 90-15 Queens Blvd. in Elmhurst on Feb. 15 at 1 p.m.
• St. Nicholas of Tolentine Church at 150-75 Goethals Ave. in Jamaica on Feb 16. at 8 a.m.
• St. Mary Gate of Heaven Roman Catholic at 101-20 105 St. in Ozone Park on Feb. 16 at 8:15 a.m.
• Our Lady of Sorrows School at 35-34 105th St. in Corona on Feb. 16 at 9:00 a.m.
•Kehilas Ishei Yisrael at 70-10 150 St. in Flushing on Feb. 16 at 8:15 a.m.
• NYPD School Safety at 143-10 Springfield Blvd. in Springfield Gardens, Feb. 18 at 10 a.m.
• York College CUNY at 94-20 Guy Brewer Blvd. in Jamaica on Feb. 19 at 11 a.m.
• Forest Hills Hospital at 102-01 66 Road on Feb. 21 at 10 a.m.
• Queens Center Mall at 90-15 Queens Blvd. in Elmhurst on Feb. 21 at 1:00 p.m.
• Queens Place Mall at 88-01 Queens Blvd. in Elmhurst on Feb. 22 at 12 p.m.
• Keystone Lodge No.5 at 193-12 Linden Blvd. in Saint Albans on Feb. 22 at 9 a.m.
• Hollis Hills Jewish Center at 210-10 Union Turnpike in Hollis Hills on Feb. 23 at 8:30 a.m.
• Our Lady of Mercy Church at 70-01 Kessel St. in Forest Hills on Feb. 23 at 8:45 a.m.
• St. John’s University-Taffner Field House at 8000 Utopia Pkwy. in Jamaica on Feb. 24 at 10 a.m.
• PS 207 Rockwood Park School at 159-15 88 St. in Howard Beach on Feb. 26 at 2:45 p.m.
• Cross Island Plaza/New York Asylum Office at 133-33 Brookville Blvd. in Rosedale on Feb. 27 at 10 a.m.
For more info visit nybloodcenter.org or call 1-800- 933-2566.