Parents still trying to enroll their children in city public schools this coming year will have the opportunity Over the next two weeks at two registration centers in the borough opening the week before school starts.
The centers, which will be located at Thomas A. Edison Career and Technical High School, 165-65 84th Ave. in Jamaica and Long Island City High School, 14-30 Broadway, Long Island City. They will be open from Tuesday, Aug. 28, through Friday, Sept.14, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. They will be closed on Monday, Sept. 3 for Labor Day.
The centers are open for parents of students who are entering a high school or returning to the school system after an absence or who do not have zoned schools. Students with zoned schools should registered at their individual schools.
Enrollment staff will be on hand to meet with students and parents. Assistance will be given in multiple languages and materials will be available in English, Spanish, Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, French, Haitian Creole, Korean, Russian and Urdu.
Parents must bring their children to the registration and are required to have proof of residence which will include two of the following items:
• a residential utility bill (gas or electric) in the resident’s name and dated within the last 60 days;
• or letter on letterhead from a federal, state, or local government agency indicating the resident’s name and address and dated within the last 60 days;
• an original lease agreement, deed, or mortgage statement for the residence;
• a current property tax bill for the residence;
• a water bill for the residence dated within the last 60 days;
• official payroll documentation from an employer dated within the last 60 days.
Parents must also have their child’s birth certificate or passports, immunization records and his or her latest report cards and individualized education program if applicable.