The Lawrence Burying Ground, as it’s officially known, was landmarked by the city in 1967 and is the final resting spot for 40 members of the Lawrence family, who settled in the area in 1645.
The site is bounded by 216th Street and 42nd Avenue in Bayside.
The location originally was used by the Lawrence family as a picnicking area and became a burial ground for the family in 1832.
Among those buried there are Cornelius Van Wyck Lawrence, mayor of New York City from 1834-37; John Lawrence, who was mayor in 1673 and 1691; and Judge Effingham Lawrence.
The Bayside Historical Society has been overseeing the cemetery’s upkeep for many years.