The 109th Precinct in Flushing reports a rise in motorcycle thefts, especially of Yamaha and Suzuki models. Here are some safety tips from the police:
· Park in well-lit areas.
· Activate any security devices. Add an audible alarm.
· Lock the bike to a secure, stationary object, such as a light pole.
· Lock the ignition.
· Lock the forks or disc brakes.
· If parking in a garage, block the bike with a car and ensure the garage is locked.
· When riding home, make sure you are not being followed.
· Stay alert for suspicious vans or trucks driving around late at night. These are used to transport stolen motorcycles.
· Immediately call 911 for suspicious activity. Provide a description, vehicles used or plate numbers to the dispatcher.
The Crime Prevention Unit also alerts residents to be aware of telephone scams.
The target victim is called and told he or she won lottery prize money. The caller then instructs the victim to send a check or wire money to pay for insurance. Never send money.