Four historic houses of worship in Queens will open their doors to the public this coming weekend during the New York Landmarks Conservancy’s annual sacred sites open house event.
Three are in Flushing and the fourth in Kew Gardens. They include St. George’s Episcopal Church in Flushing on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and the Episcopal Church of the Resurrection in Kew Gardens on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The Free Synagogue of Flushing will be open Sunday beginning at 2:30 p.m. The Quaker Meeting House in Flushing will be open Sunday from 12:30 to 2 p.m.
“Religious art and architecture is perhaps our greatest creative achievement” said Peg Breen, president of the New York Landmarks Conservancy. “Nowhere in the United States is this better demonstrated than right here in New York with its rich diversity of religious and ecclesiastical buildings.”
St. George’s Episcopal is located at 135-32 38 Ave., but faces Main Street. Besides touring the stone structure that was built in 1854, visitors will be treated to musical selections.
In 2010, the church lost its wooden steeple, which was blown off during the Sept. 16 tornado. Reconstruction is continuing with the help of a grant from the conservancy’s Sacred Sites program.
The church dates back to 1702 and has been at the same location since 1746. One of its most well-known members was Francis Lewis of Whitestone, a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
The Church of the Resurrection is located at 85-09 118 St. Its current facility was built in 1904 around its original 1874 structure, which is preserved inside. It features a French gothic- style facade with a stone base and tower.
One of its parishioners was the reformer Jacob Riis. In 1900, then-Gov. Theodore Roosevelt attended the wedding of Riis’ daughter there.
The Quaker Meeting House is located at 137-16 Northern Blvd. and was built in 1694 and enlarged in 1716-19. It is one of the oldest existing places of worship in the country.
British soldiers occupied the building during the Revolutionary War and there is a burial ground in the rear.
The Free Synagogue, located at 41-60 Kissena Blvd., is the oldest Reform congregation in Queens. The facility includes a late-19th century mansion that the synagogue bought in 1921 and an adjacent synagogue built in 1927.
The Free Synagogue will hold tours at 2:30 p.m. followed by a concert, “East Meets West: Asian Poetry Set by European Composers” at 3 p.m.