• January 25, 2015
  • Welcome!
    Logout|My Dashboard

Queens Chronicle

Two convicted in one-hour ’10 crime spree

Tried to kill two cops after car theft, armed home invasion, street robbery

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:30 am | Updated: 11:15 am, Thu Mar 21, 2013.

The spree began with a stolen car in St. Albans, included a home invasion robbery and concluded with shots fired on and just off of Sutphin Boulevard in South Jamaica.

“In less than an hour, the two defendants committed more than a dozen serious felonies, including the attempted murder of two police officers who put their lives and safety at risk as they braved gunfire in an effort to bring the defendants’ crime spree to a halt,” Brown said.

Testimony at their trial stated that the spree began at about 7:35 a.m. on Feb. 10, 2010, when a man in St. Albans left his white 2000 Ford Focus running outside his home to warm up, only to find it gone when he returned.

About 35 minutes later, a 72-year-old South Ozone Park woman opened her front door and was confronted by two masked men who forced their way inside her home and announced a robbery.

The woman and her 40-year-old daughter were held at gunpoint as the men took cash, a camera, jewelry, a Wii gaming system and a flat-screen television before fleeing.

Moments later an Ozone Park woman walking along 128th Street was robbed of her purse, cell phone, money and credit cards by an armed, masked man who got away in a white vehicle being driven by a second man.

Brown’s office said NYPD officers Shawn Phillips and Steven Betts observed Fermin and Lowery in the Ford Focus at the intersection of 130th Street and Foch Boulevard about 20 seconds after the street robbery.

As they approached the vehicle Fermin, who was identified as the driver, took the officers on a high-speed chase through three different precincts — at times traveling the wrong way down one-way streets — until they arrived on Sutphin Boulevard and began heading south.

At that point Lowery leaned out the window of the moving car and fired at least eight shots at the officers.

They ended up jumping out of the moving car on 153rd Street between 118th and 119th avenues. Lowery was seen reaching into his waistband, leading the officers to open fire, though he was not hit. The car crashed at the end of the block with the items taken in the burglary and robbery recovered inside.

“This case once again underscores the serious and dangerous nature of police work and the sacrifices that our police officers make in serving our community from the likes of these two defendants,” the district attorney said in his statement.

Fermin was arrested near the site of the crash, while Lowery escaped but was arrested at his home about 12 hours later.

The detective squad from the 106th Precinct in Ozone Park took the lead in the investigation. Fermin and Lowery had been held without bail since their arrests.

They were convicted following a five-week trial of first- and second-degree attempted murder, first-degree reckless endangerment, first-degree attempted assault, attempted aggravated assault on a police officer, first-degree burglary, first- and second-degree robbery, second-degree criminal possession of a weapon fourth-degree grand larceny, fourth- and fifth-degree criminal possession of stolen property, first-degree unauthorized use of a vehicle and third-degree unlawful fleeing a police officer in a motor vehicle.

They face 25 years to life in prison when sentenced later this month.

More about

Welcome to the discussion.