• January 26, 2015
  • Welcome!
    Logout|My Dashboard

Queens Chronicle

50 to life for slayings of pregnant mom, 2 YO

‘Particularly vicious murders’ — Brown

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:30 am | Updated: 11:16 am, Thu Mar 21, 2013.

The man who murdered his pregnant ex-girlfriend and her 2-year-old son in Springfield Gardens in July 2010 was sentenced to 50 years to life in prison on March 6.

Jimmy Humphrey, 26, also of Springfield Gardens, was convicted in January of strangling Linda Anderson, 25, and of attempting to cover up the crime by setting fire to her apartment, according to a statement released by the office of District Attorney Richard Brown.

Anderson was seven months pregnant with Humphrey’s child at the time of her death. Brown said Humphrey admitted to police that he set fire to the apartment knowing that her son, Ayden Hayes, 2, was inside.

“These were particularly vicious murders in which the defendant stands convicted of first strangling the mother of his unborn child and then, without the slightest regard for human life, attempted to cover up his crime by setting fire to her home, thereby taking the life of her innocent 2-year-old son,” Brown said.

According to trial testimony, firefighters responded to the home as a result of an anonymous 911 call. Ayden was pronounced dead at a local hospital, and the Medical Examiner’s Office determined that he died of smoke inhalation and other injuries.

Anderson died of neck compression. The investigation by the FDNY determined that the cause of the fire was neither natural nor accidental in nature.

Brown’s office said that in statements made to police, Humphrey said he had been with Anderson and her son just prior to the fire, and that he grabbed Anderson by the throat and shoved her, causing her to fall.

“He also admitted that he hit Ms. Anderson with a bottle of alcohol and used her lighter to set the couch on fire even though he knew Ayden was inside the apartment,” the statement said, adding that Humphrey knew Anderson was pregnant and that he did not want to have a family with her.

“Finally, Humphrey admitted that he went home and laid down for a period of time before walking to a phone to call 911 to report the fire,” according to Brown.

More about

Welcome to the discussion.