• January 28, 2015
  • Welcome!
    Logout|My Dashboard

Queens Chronicle

Timoshenko's killer gets more jail time

Bostic gets 25 to life for shooting one day before he murdered cop

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 9:37 pm | Updated: 11:29 am, Thu Jan 30, 2014.

Less than 24 hours before he murdered NYPD Officer Russel Timoshenko in 2007, Dexter Bostic shot man on a Jamaica street corner and then robbed him of his car keys, jewelry and $1,800 in cash.

On Wednesday, Bostic, of Far Rockaway, was sentenced to 25 years to life for the street corner shooting.

Queens Supreme Court Justice Gregory Lasak ordered the sentence run consecutively to the life without parole sentence Bostic already is serving for killing Timoshenko.

“Today’s sentence ensures that the defendant — a dangerous  predator who has been convicted of shooting an unarmed man  and an on-duty police officer within 24 hours —  will spend the rest of his  life in prison and never again see the light of day,” Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said in a statement issued by his office. 

Bostic in July was convicted of second-degree attempted murder, two counts each of first-degree assault, first-degree robbery, second-degree criminal possession of a weapon and a single count of fifth-degree criminal possession of stolen property following a four-week trial.

According to trial testimony, Carl Field, then 20, was standing at the intersection of Sutphin Boulevard and 109th Drive at about 5 p.m. on July  8 when Bostic and Robert Ellis drove up. Field attempted to run but fell when he was shot in one leg. Bostic forced the wounded man to surrender his valuables.

On July 9, Timoshenko and his partner, Herman Yan, were on patrol in the 71st Precinct when they pulled a BMW SUV that had plates reported stolen from a Mitsubishi Outlander.

Timoshenko, 23, was approaching on the passenger side of the SUV as Bostic emerged and shot him in the face and throat.

Yan, on the driver’s side, was struck in the chest and one arm, but was saved by his bulletproof vest and was able to return fire while radioing for help.

Timoshenko was on life support for five days without regaining consciousness when he died at Kings County Hospital Center.

Timoshenko’s family emigrated to the United States from Belarus when he was 9, and lived on Staten Island. He had been with the NYPD for approximately 18 months at the time of his death.

Bostic and Ellis were arrested on the run in Pennsylvania four days later, with the latter being returned to New York wearing the slain officer’s handcuffs.

The driver of the SUV, Lee Woods, was arrested in Queens.

Ellis was acquitted in Timoshenko’s murder and of wounding Yan, though he was given 15 years on related weapons charges.

Lasak in July sentenced Ellis to 25 years for his conviction in the attack on Field, which he will not begin serving until he concludes his current sentence.

Woods, following a mistrial, was convicted in 2009 and received a life sentence with no chance for parole.

Yan and Timoshenko both were awarded the NYPD’s Medal of Honor and promoted to the rank of detective.

More about

Welcome to the discussion.