• January 29, 2015
  • Welcome!
    Logout|My Dashboard

Queens Chronicle

Teen gets 20 years in Patrick Dixon’s death

17-year-old killed for an iPhone

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, October 3, 2013 10:30 am | Updated: 10:52 am, Thu Oct 10, 2013.

A 19-year-old Jamaica man was sentenced to 20 years in prison last week for his role in a 2011 robbery in which a 17-year-old was killed for his iPhone.

Stephon Huffman of 116th Avenue pleaded guilty in July to first-degree manslaughter in the death of Patrick Dixon, who was attacked by four men as he walked in broad daylight at the intersection of 142nd Street and 120th Avenue in South Jamaica.

Dixon died after being slashed in the throat when he resisted the attack.

Huffman’s sentence, handed down by Queens Supreme Court Justice Gregory Lasak, includes five years of post-release supervision.

“This was an incredibly violent attack in which a teenage boy’s throat was slashed as he fought for his life after being chased and restrained by the defendant and several alleged accomplices,” District Attorney Richard Brown said in a statement issued by his office on Sept. 25.

“A young life was senselessly cut short over a cell phone, and the young men allegedly responsible for the death face serious consequences,” Brown added. “Today’s sentence is necessary to punish the defendant for his active participation in this attack.”

Brown said cases still are pending against the remaining defendants, including Jose Heredia, who allegedly cut Dixon with the razor and has been charged with second-degree murder.

The group allegedly followed Dixon as he got off a city bus, with one of them putting him in a choke hold, demanding his phone and trying to take it from his pocket.

As Dixon struggled, Huffman and another defendant grabbed him before he broke free. Prosecutors allege that Heredia then slashed his throat.

Huffman and two others allegedly followed Dixon as he ran away and fell to the ground, with one of the attackers still demanding that the teen hand over his phone.

Brown’s office said Huffman’s face and clothes were covered in blood, and that he admitted running after Dixon.

More about

Welcome to the discussion.