• December 27, 2014
  • Welcome!
    Logout|My Dashboard

Queens Chronicle

Second man nabbed in Nassau cop slaying

Community mourns the loss of Arthur Lopez and Raymond Facey

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, November 1, 2012 10:30 am | Updated: 11:52 am, Thu Nov 8, 2012.

A second man has been arrested in connection with the shooting deaths of Nassau County Police Officer Arthur Lopez and motorist Raymond Facey, who were gunned down Oct. 23 on the Cross Island Expressway.

Gerald Williams, 27, of Jamaica, allegedly provided accused shooter Darrell Fuller, 33, also of Jamaica, with a car and weapons on the day of the crimes, according to the Queens District Attorney’s Office.

Williams is charged with two counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon, which is a Class C felony punishable by up to fifteen years in prison.

Lopez, 29, who was a member of Nassau County’s Emergency Service Unit, pulled Fuller over after he fled the scene of an accident. After a brief verbal exchange Fuller is accused of shooting Lopez in the chest. Then he allegedly fled the scene, later ditching his vehicle, carjacking Facey, fatally shooting him in the head and then fleeing in his car.

According to the criminal complaint, Williams lent a silver 2000 Nissan Altima to Fuller on the day of the shooting, but it was not the car he crashed and later abandoned. A TEC-9 semi-automatic firearm and a Ruger 9mm semi-automatic pistol were inside the trunk of the car when it was returned to Williams.

The Nassau County Police Department’s Homicide Squad later recovered both weapons from the car and both firearms were loaded, the DA said.

“We are presently awaiting the results of ballistics tests to determine if the Ruger was the murder weapon used to kill Police Officer Lopez and Mr. Facey,” Queens DA Richard Brown said in a prepared statement.

Williams allegedly told an NYPD detective that he owned the TEC-9 and that he saw Fuller with the Ruger at approximately 10:53 a.m. on the day of the shooting at the intersection of Francis Lewis Boulevard and 114th Street, according to the criminal complaint.

“That’s what he said to police,” Kevin Ryan, a spokesman for the DA said. “Whether it follows a sensible timeline is something else.”

Williams’ attorney Lori Zeno could not immediately be reached for comment.

Fuller was found around 6:30 p.m. in a car in front of 173-06 111 Ave. in St. Albans after someone called 911 reporting gunshots. Fuller allegedly shot himself twice — once in the neck and once in the leg — reportedly in an attempt to commit suicide. He was rushed to Jamaica Hospital Medical Center, where he was arrested.

According to a report in the New York Post, Fuller told Williams that he shot Lopez because he thought the officer was going to use a Taser on him. Fuller reportedly did five years for attempted murder and was out on parole on a subsequent drug conviction when he allegedly shot the two men.

“Once again the community has had to suffer a terrible tragedy because of the lax sentences provided by the criminal justice system,” said Councilman Peter Vallone (D-Astoria), a former prosecutor and member of the Council’s Committee on Fire and Criminal Justice Services.

Lopez, an eight-year veteran on the force, will not soon be forgotten. Thousands gathered at St. Christopher’s Roman Catholic Church in Baldwin, LI on Saturday to mourn the slain cop. Thousands of fellow cops formed a sea of blue, 20 officers per line, stretching five blocks long, to bid farewell to their fallen brother.

There will be a public viewing for Facey today, Friday, Nov. 2 from 4 to 8 p.m. at the Foster Phillips Funeral Home at 179-24 Linden Blvd. in Jamaica. Funeral services will be held Saturday at 10 a.m. at Holy Trinity Parish Church located at 222-05 116 Ave. Facey will be buried at Pinelawn Cemetery in Farmingdale, LI.

There are memorial pages honoring both Facey and Lopez on Facebook. Facey’s page had 6,582 likes as of Thursday morning, while Lopez’s page had 33,068.

More about

Welcome to the discussion.