• November 26, 2014
  • Welcome!
    |
    ||
    Logout|My Dashboard

Queens Chronicle

Parents win fight to restore playground

PS 251 area was ruined by sewer project

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, February 16, 2012 12:00 pm | Updated: 8:08 am, Mon Feb 27, 2012.

After a long fight with the city Department of Education, parents, students and community leaders are finally going to get their wish — a new playground at PS 251 in Springfield Gardens.

The DOE recently completed the design for the area and the project will be going out to bid in April, department spokeswoman Marge Feinberg said Monday.

Once a developer is selected it will take approximately six months to complete the project. The cost is estimated to be about $400,000 and will come from the capital budget, Feinberg said.

The new playground equipment will include a jungle gym, slide and floor games. No disruption to the daily functions of the school are expected during the construction period, Feinberg said.

Early last year, developer Our Conduit Ltd. of Great Neck, LI, purchased several homes along the South Conduit and got permission from the city to run a sewer line under the playground and dug it up.

School officials claimed there wasn’t any money to repair the area and stated that the original playground equipment could not be reinstalled because it didn’t meet current safety standards, according to parent Michael Pinckney.

In September, the DOE covered the damaged playground area with a fresh coat of blacktop and added a few mobile basketball hoops, but not much else. After consistent pressure from residents, aided by City Councilman James Sanders Jr. (D-Laurelton), they appear to be getting results.

More about

Welcome to the discussion.