• September 23, 2014
  • Welcome!
    |
    ||
    Logout|My Dashboard

Queens Chronicle

New info in attack on 10-year-old girl

Police still seeking public’s help in early-morning September assault

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2013 10:30 am | Updated: 10:51 am, Thu Oct 17, 2013.

The NYPD has released more information on the man wanted in connection with what is believed to be a thwarted attempt to rape a 10-year-old girl on her way to school on.

Speaking Tuesday at a meeting of the 103rd Precinct’s Community Council, Inspector Charles McEvoy, the commanding officer of the precinct, said a bus passing the site of the attack appears to have scared the man away just as he got the girl to the ground beneath a railroad overpass near Douglas Avenue and 93rd Street.

“The little girl wasn’t hurt physically,” McEvoy said. “We don’t know what was on his mind, but if something bad could have happened to her, that was probably what he was going to do. She got on her bus, went to school and told her principal. That’s when we got involved.”

An updated wanted poster is being circulated throughout the 103rd and surrounding precincts, with a new, detailed description of the suspect.

He is described as a dark-skinned black male who is approximately 30 years old. He is 5 feet, 6 inches tall and weighs about 160 pounds. We was wearing a dark blue T-shirt, baggy blue jeans and red-and-white Nike sneakers.

His hair was worn in braids down to his neck, and he has a bad skin condition on his face. Police said it is possible, though not certain, that the man could be homeless.

Anyone with information on the man’s identity or whereabouts is being asked to call Det. Danielle Febus at (718) 520-9277, or Detective Borough Queens North at (718) 520-9200.

Crime Stoppers also is offering a reward of up to $2,000 for information leading to an arrest and conviction in the case. Call Crime Stoppers at 1 (800) 577-TIPS (8477). The public also can submit tips by logging onto nypdcrimestoppers.com or by texting 274637 (CRIMES), then entering TIP577. All tips are strictly confidential.

In other precinct news, McEvoy said overall major crimes in the precinct for the year were down nearly 4 percent through the most recent reporting period.

He made special note of a decrease in burglaries, which are down more than 9 percent from a year ago and almost 22 percent over the last 28 days, a direction that burglaries do not always take in the warm summer months.

“In the summer time, one way burglars get in is when windows are left open,”he said. “It’s not like now, where we begin closing our windows and they won’t be opened again until May.”

McEvoy also credited his officers with a sharp drop in gun crimes.

“Year to date we have had 25 shooting incidents with 28 shooting victims,” he said. “This time in 2012 we had 35 shooting incidents with 45 victims.”

There were five shootings in the precinct last month.

“September was a violent month,” McEvoy said.

He said one of the victims was a 58-year-old man who was shot twice in an apparent home invasion robbery on Sept. 26. The man remains hospitalized.

The inspector also said his officers recently were able to apprehend a man suspected of five armed robberies in a three-week span using a silver handgun.

“I came into work one morning (after the fifth robbery) and one of my men was angry,” McEvoy said. “He told me ‘I almost had him — I was right in the neighborhood looking for him.’”

He didn’t have long to wait, spotting a man the next night hanging out in the shadows and behind trees near a school.

“What was he doing there on a Friday night?” McEvoy asked.

Officers approached and ultimately arrested the man, recovering a silver .22-caliber pistol.

“He’s been ID’d by five people who were robbed, and you know if they hadn’t stopped him that night there would have been a sixth,” McEvoy said. “He wasn’t hanging out there for fun.”

Welcome to the discussion.