An 83-year-old South Jamaica man was killed Tuesday when his home on 157th Street caught fire.
Published reports state that Charles Pollock, who in 1963 designed the widely successful Pollock Executive Office Chair, died when he was unable to escape the fire that engulfed his first-floor design studio.
The New York Post reported that Pollock, who was pronounced dead at the scene, was confined to a motorized wheelchair. Reports said he was a native of Michigan who first came to New York to study at the Pratt Institute’s School of Art and Design.
Published reports quoted city building officials as saying that the two-story, wood-frame house had been illegally subdivided into four apartments, and that the owner has been hit with six violations, including defective wiring and using gas without a permit.
The Associated Press said Pollock’s signature chair design featured a chair set on wheels with tufted upholstery and an aluminum band around its edges, and became an instant best-seller.