• December 20, 2014
  • Welcome!
    |
    ||
    Logout|My Dashboard

Queens Chronicle

Comrie close to declaring

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:30 am

Deputy Borough President Leroy Comrie did not exactly deny the gist of a New York Post article claiming he told the paper he is “90 percent ready” to enter a primary against embattled state Senator Malcolm Smith (D-Hollis).

But he would not comment on quotes critical of Smith that the paper said he told a reporter.

“I’m 90 percent ready,” Comrie acknowledged in a telephone conversation with the Chronicle on Tuesday evening. “I’m still talking to people and listening to people.”

Smith was indicted on federal corruption charges last April in connection with charges that he attempted to bribe his way onto the Republican ballot for mayor last year. Smith, former Republican Councilman Dan Halloran and former Queens GOP Vice Chairman Vincent Tabone will go to trial on June 2.

Two codefendants already have pleaded guilty, while another from upstate will be tried after Smith and Halloran.

Attorneys Clyde Vanel and Munir Avery and Navy veteran Bernadette Semple already are candidates.

Welcome to the discussion.