The State Liquor Authority, in a letter to state Sen. Joe Addabbo Jr. (D-Howard Beach), confirmed that the Knockdown Center has yet to officially file for a liquor license.
In the letter dated Dec. 20, SLA Chairman Dennis Rosen assures that the agency will take the community’s concerns into consideration if and when the controversial arts venue at 52-19 Flushing Ave. in Maspeth officially files for a liquor license.
“At this time, the SLA has not received an application for [the] Knockdown Center,” the letter reads. “Please be assured if we receive a new application at this location, your opposition will be incorporated into the licensing file.”
Addabbo says the content of the letter surprised him, as he was under the assumption that the Knockdown Center’s operators had already filed for a liquor license.
“I was waiting to hear back regarding their application. I’m a little surprised by this,” Addabbo said. “Maybe they are taking some time to do their due diligence in the community before they officially file. We’ll keep an eye out for it.”
Tyler Myers, the Knockdown Center’s manager, chose not to provide a comment on the record.
The venue has faced fierce opposition from concerned residents, Community Board 5 and elected officials such as Addabbo and Assemblywoman Cathy Nolan (D-Sunnyside).
CB 5 and area electeds have sent numerous letters to the SLA in previous months, recommending that the center’s liquor license be denied.
Addabbo believes that it is just a matter of time before the Knockdown Center, which seeks to host events for up to 5,000 people, officially files with the SLA.
“I know it’s going to happen eventually. Within the month, I would think,” he said. “They have the momentum now.”