• December 18, 2014
  • Welcome!
    |
    ||
    Logout|My Dashboard

Queens Chronicle

Carbon monoxide leak

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 10:30 am

A Kew Gardens home filled with carbon monoxide poisoned the two people living in the house.

According to the FDNY, a 911 call was made at 10:41 p.m. reporting a possible leak at 119-18 Park Lane South and Beverly Road.

When first responders arrived, they removed two unconscious people who were in serious condition. They were transferred to Jamaica Medical Center.

Though they could not say for sure, the FDNY suspected a defective boiler to be the root cause of the leak. An update on the individuals’ medical status was unavailable at press time.

Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs after inhaling a certain amount of carbon monoxide. As the toxic gas is colorless, odorless, tasteless and initially non-irritating, it is almost impossible to detect without the use of a carbon monoxide detector.

It is often produced in domestic settings by gasoline-powered tools, heaters and other equipment. Exposures at 100 parts per million or greater can pose a danger to human health.

— Tess McRae

Welcome to the discussion.